Friday, April 25, 2008

Words that Make Me FEEL smart.

Here's some words I like to throw into everyday conversation....everyone needs a couple of words that make them feel smart. Here's a few of mine...Add to my list so I can sound smarter than I really am!!!
1. Plebian
2. Constituents
3. Disconcerted
4. Nape
5. Coagulate
6. Aggregation

I think I've lost most of my vocabulary now that I am no longer an english major...:(

4 comments:

abigail annie said...

duplicitous is one of my favorites...along with plethora...

juecker said...

I like serendipitous, surreptitious, esoteric, and octonegarian (sp?)

Anonymous said...

ubiquitous, discombobulate, epitome, loqacious, facetious, ingenue...all personal favs

Laura K said...

1) cloying - excessive and overwhelming sweetness; to become uninteresting due to overabundance
2) repose - peace, rest, trust
3) tarantella - a folk dance from southern Italy
4) taciturn - uncommunicative, reserved, silent
5) rueful - causing sorrow or pity, showing sorrow for offenses or sins
6) antecedents - preceding event or cause, an ancestor (I always thought of this in terms of grammar, but the context it was in confuzzled me)
7) cacophony - unpleasant combination of sounds, dissonance
8) umbrageous - shaded or giving shade; easily offended (I get a kick out of this one because of the HP character Delores Umbridge...JK Rowling really is amazing with names.)
9) languorous - listless or dreamy, lacking zeal
10) suppurating - to discharge pus (um...ew)
11) contumacious - rebellious against authority, obstinately disobedient (I really like this word)
12) unquellable - unable to crush or suppress (again I really like this word)