Have you ever wondered what some of the phrases you use actually mean? I do.
Here is a list of phrases that sometimes befuddle me.
1. Get on my soapbox. I know what this means..but why do we say that we are getting on our soapbox? I think my weight would crush that small piece of cardboard.
2. Oops-a-Daisy. Hmm...did people who used to pick weeds accidently yell this when they pulled out a daisy instead of a dandelion?
3. Take a gander. Hmm..I love this phrase. I use it all of the time. That's how cheesy I am...I have no idea why I would take a goose anywhere...
4. I'll be the guinea pig? What? Don't they only do scientific experiments on mice?
5. As easy as pie. I know that pie is definitely not easy to make. It takes hours...and talent.
6. Chip on your shoulder.
7. Point blank
8. Let the cat out of the bag. Why was it there in the first place?
Luckily, you can all figure out where these phrases originated from by clicking here
2 comments:
Too funny! I had a friend whose first language was not English. I always had to explain these to her. The link is great!
Someone asked me today if "okie dokie" was a Minnesota thing. Didn't even remember saying it!
Post a Comment