Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Boys Don't Defer

Boys don't defer. This is a very simple fact that has taken me years to comprehend. You see, I've been living in a girls world all my life. I grew up with three sisters and my high school class was 80% female. Naturally, I articulate "girl language" quite well. Thus,boy language often seems quite foreign to me. You see, girls have these known rules that we ALL follow...and if these rules are broken...it makes girls upset. Here are some different unspoken rules we girls usually follow.

1. Girls must defer to one another at least 3 times.

2. If you have both deferred at least 3 times...then the girl with greatest need wins....no matter how vehement her deference is. (For example, if one girl has only eaten a skinny cow all day and there is only one piece of lasagna left for supper..they would both defer until the girl who only ate the skinny was eating the piece of lasagna).

3. The girl who wins the deference ALWAYS thanks the girl who deferred.

You are probably wondering where this "boys don't defer" post came from. Yesterday our fridge did not have a lick of food in it. We just got back from vacation and had not had time to restock. My husband gets up earlier than I do and packed his lunch with the last two pieces of bread. I was therefore left with some fruit, a hot red pepper and a skinny cow (and no car since we share one). I chose to eat the skinny cow. We did have one large piece of lasagna left for supper. I was expecting my husband would defer to ME since he had had a sandwich for lunch. And he did...2 times..and then ate it. I was shocked! Obviously I was the one in greatest need! He had a sandwich for lunch and I had a measly skinny cow! (This is a reduced fat/calorie dessert for those of you who do not know). I was the one in greatest need! He did not even follow the last girl deference rule and thank me as he was eating it. He believed me when I said it was okay if he ate it. Naturally, I was quite upset! How RUDE! After stewing about how hungry I was and how inconsiderate he was, I remembered a side comment my mother-in-law made this past weekend "boys do not defer." I then realized that I was speaking in my silly girl language...and of course my husband did not understand these silly girl rules I follow! I then forgave him for eating the last piece of lasagna, and decided my girl deference rules are rather silly!

2 comments:

Uecker said...

"Girls are not literal" -do they ever mean what they say? Boys are probably too literal. Do they ever not mean what they say?

Caron said...

Joel...you are so wise! I guess I do need to work on being more literal.