Monday, April 20, 2009

"When 30 Was Old"

I remember listening to Deana Carter sing "Strawberry Wine" as a teenager. One of the lines was "when I thought 30 was old" I used to think that think 30 was really old...but now it's right around the corner....As a teenager I thought a lot of things...here are a few thoughts from the past.

1. I thought I would be married by the age of 22.
2. I thought high school and college would be the best years of my life (thank goodness my life is much better now than it was then)
3. I thought it would be fun to go on dates with lots of different guys...until I went on dates with lots of different guys and realized it was NOT fun at all...(boy do I have some stories)
4. I thought my wedding day would be the best day of my life...and believe me..it was GREAT...but I think actually being with my husband day in and day out is so much better.
5. I thought I'd be a stay at home mom my whole life..
6. I also thought raising children "couldn't be that hard." (I don't even have any yet..and I already realize how faulty my thinking was)
7. I used to think I wasn't "that much like my parents" until one day I caught myself singing and saying all the phrases my mom used to.
8. I used to think that it was easier to be an adult and not have anyone "telling me what to do."
9. I also thought that staying up really late was fun...I now like to go to bed around 9:30.
10. I used to be so disheartened if I was at home on a weekend night...now I look forward to it...
10.

2 comments:

Dad Uecker said...

I remember when I thought 60 was old. I also thought people who are 60 must feel different and view life as though you are old. I don't think that is true. I still feel the same as when I was "young". I now enjoy the perspective of seeing the bigger picture, the lessons learned, the joy of simpler things, observing the success of my children and their wives, the difference between parenting and grandparenting, etc. etc. I think each period of life has its special traits, special moments and yes, hard times. Moses had a good word for us all in Psalm 90 when he reflected on how quickly time passes---"so teach us to number our days that we might apply our hearts unto wisdom."

Colleen said...

I think #4 is the best on your list! #7 probably makes you cringe, but for the most part, I'm smiling!