Saturday, October 31, 2009

His Thoughts/Her Thoughts

Before I got married, I had dreams of road trips with long conversations, supper with long conversations.....eating breakfast with yes...LONG CONVERSATIONS. I learned very early on that women have about a billion more things on their mind most of the time. Here's my example....

Her thoughts...
hmmm..I think tonight was really fun. I hope I didn't offend _____ when I said ____. I really hope she didn't take it the wrong way....hmm...but the food was good...but I really should not have eaten that______. I feel so fat...I feel like a big, fat, fatty. Ugh...I need to be more careful tomorrow. It was really funny when _____ said ______. Ha...that was so great...hmm...I wonder what Joel is thinking about the evening..."What are you thinkin' about, hun?"

His answer..
"oh, nothin"

Me...
You can't be thinkin' about "nothing." That is physically impossible.

Joel..
"Well, I was thinking about the gas mileage we are getting"

My thoughts..
Gas mileage..seriously?

Another evening...

Her thoughts...
I love being married. I have the best husband in the whole, wide world. He is sooo great and smart. I wonder when we will get to go on vacation again. I think it would be so fun if we could go to______. I'm gonna hafta shed a couple of pounds before we do that though...Yikes..a swimsuit. I hate swimsuits. Why do guys get to wear big, baggy clothes...and we're stuck with tight, little things? It's so unfair. I wonder if I would rather be forced to wear a swimsuit to Wal-Mart...or jogging down the street...hmm..that's a hard one..I'll have to remember that one and ask Joel on our next road trip. Ha...I can store up some baby names too. He'll LOVE that. It's funny, cause he used to like talking about that stuff when we were dating..but he doesn't now..I wonder why. Hmm...I wonder what he's thinking about right now..."Joel, what are you thinkin' about?"

Joel.....
Oh nothing.

My thoughts...
Seriously, do I have to tell him that it's not possible to think of NOTHING?

My answer...
"Seriously, I want to know what you are thinking about!"

Joel..
Oh, I was just wondering when I have to take the car in to get the oil changed. I was also thinking about when ____________ made that awesome touchdown.

Me...
"Don't you ever think about anything interesting? Gosh, it seems like it would be so easy to live in your head for a while."

My thoughts.
"Seriously, I want to have a brain like that. No worrying about what you ate, no worrying about what he/she said...no worrying about whether I chose the right outfit for the evening...just oil, cars, and sports....seriously...I need a brain like that...although, it does sound kind of boring...hmmm."

Joel's thoughts (as my brain wonders about everything mentioned above...)
I think I should probably rake the yard this weekend

And this is what I have learned in my first year of marriage folks. Don't get me wrong...Joel and I do have great conversations! He's very intelligent (much smarter than I am :)....it just seems that his thought life is sooooo much simpler....oil changes, cars, work and sports....I think I need to learn from him!

No comments: