Saturday, July 30, 2011

...But...Grace

Have you ever felt like you need to continually explain yourself?  For example, I find myself saying.."Well, I would have called earlier...but..."
or
"I would be working more hours.....but..."
 and
"I would be in better shape....but..."
"I'd have more friends if I hadn't just moved...and"
"My house would be cleaner if...."
"I'd be smarter if...."
"I would have worked out and ate better today if..."
"I'd be a nicer person if..."
"I'd be a GREAT wife....if..."
I find myself trying to prove myself to myself, my husband and worst of all,  I unconsciously try to show God that I am "capable."  Why do I do this?

I think it's my lack of knowledge of God's grace.  I guilt myself into doing things all of the time so I can "feel  like" I'm "a better Christian."  This is such the antithesis of the theology of the Bible.  How did I get like this?  Why do I feel like "I" need to make myself be a better person.

I'm reading "What's So Amazing About Grace?" by Phillip Yancey.  A friend recommended it to me while I was in college.  Honestly, I perused through it so she would quit asking me about it. (sorry, Jessica!) I totally missed the point of the book.  My husband suggested I read it again this summer.  It's as though I am reading something completely different.  I am beginning to understand that I really don't know what grace is.  Scary thought..huh.

My old church in Norfolk and the book I'm currently reading has showed me how extremely mixed up I've been.  If I have believed in God's grace all of these years...why haven't I lived like it?  Why am I still trying to explain my deficits to God, my husband and myself?  Why do I keep trying to just make myself be a better person?  Why am I still plagued with anxiety about my life and my personal merit?  I'm still weighing through all of this.

I believe in salvation.  I believe in God.  I'm still trying to figure out why it's hard for me, and presumably other people, to accept God's grace AFTER we confess our sins.  I know I CAN'T personally make myself be a better person....but it's in my nature to try.

Whew...this is such a hard topic to wrap my brain around....even though I would have said I completely understood it when I was 16.

So, share your thoughts folks.  I know you are out there...I have a google analytics account! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like most things, I think we keep learning more about grace as we mature. We know, we apply, we fail, we learn a little more in depth, then repeat the lesson over and over again.

It's frustrating, but effective.