After moving to NJ, I've realized many things about my career.
1) There is an economic depression going on...and that affects my job opportunity A LOT.
2) I'm not as marketable as I thought I was. BSN (bachelor of science nursing). That's the name of the game up in the north...as well as IV certification and countless other things. I feel like I've moved to a different country.
3) I may have amazing experience in step-down trauma...but I need more...like a masters degree in nursing.
Yikes. Not sure I'm ready to fork over that kind of money.
It also makes me sick to think about the amount of my life I've spent in school. Seriously, I could be a doctor by now...I've already spent approximately 8 years in college ( have a BS degree in Kinesiology and a diploma in nursing).
On the more positive side...I could find that a master's in nursing is an absolute fit for me. Since I moved, I've come to realize how much I love the critical care setting. Collaborating with doctors, residents and other nurses was such a great learning experience for me. I miss that huge team (even if I did laugh at *ahem...with* the resident doctors sometimes [I seriously had a resident suggest I get a rectal temp on a gun shot wound patient when we already knew his temp was well over 101...I definitely still chuckle at this]...)
So, what do you think. I'm almost thirty. I want to have a family....but I also want to make sure my life is dedicated to others. I feel I can do this in the nursing career...I could also do this as a mom. Vote on the poll. I need your opinion.
3 comments:
Seems it will not allow two votes from the same address. Taking all things in consideration it does not appear a logical next step. Your ability to work and training is tied to your location and should God move you then you may discover this was not needed. At this point in life you have also said you want to be a mom so it is not like you have to abandon a heart's desire. So for now I vote defer and know that this decision can be revisited.
I vote that you give yourself time to settle in to life in New Jersey. Get your certificate to be a little more marketable if you want. Then you can see if you REALLY need a BSN, or if it just SEEMS like you do.
If you intend to stay home with your kiddos, I would say wait until after they are in 1st grade or so and then go back to school. If you intend to be a working momma, then I would say go to school now.
Post a Comment